Now, here are some ideas to consider when evaluating new PMP equipment.
1. Can the benefits of the new pest control spray rig equipment be financially quantified?
– Will sales increase from:
- Add on sales to existing customers
- Acquisition of new customers
- Ability to raise prices
– Will expenses by reduced by:
- Decrease in product or product delivery cost
- Decrease in service time
- Increase in technician productivity
2. Be sure to consider all implementation costs and issues. Some of these items are obvious; so not so obvious.
– Equipment Related Questions
- What is the warranty and what does it cover?
- Are replacement and repair parts for pest control sprayer readily available and what is the cost?
- How long will it take to receive repair parts (i.e., how long will the equipment be down?)
- Can service be performed in house or must the unit be serviced by others?
- What is expected reliability given normal operating conditions of temperature extremes, hard use, bouncing vehicle, etc.
- Will there be installation costs?
- Are there any on-going vendor support, subscription or maintenance fees?
- What is the expected life of the equipment?
– People Related Questions
- Will one tech be trained or all technicians be trained?
- How much training is required?
- Who will provide the training and where will it be conducted?
- Can technicians troubleshoot problems with the equipment?
– Vehicle Related Questions
- Is there enough space on the vehicle to store/install the equipment?
- How will the equipment be packed and secured to prevent damage and theft?
- Will additional documentation be required on the truck (e.g., MSDS/Label, OSHA, etc.)?
If the costs involved in the product are significant, consider asking the vendor for names of other PMPs using the equipment. Obviously, you will only get the names of satisfied customers, but you might still gain some good insight on the product.
Considering these questions in advance of the purchase will assist you in calculating total ownership costs. You will be able to make a more informed decision. See our article Spray Equipment Cost: Purchase Price is Tip of Iceberg for more information. Please email me with your evaluations of new products.