Everyone is vulnerable to accidents and although no one wants it to be serious or get injured during the incident, statistics show a rising number of cases. It is important to be aware of what you should do when an accident happens.
Taking photographs when possible, not posting sensitive information on social media, not admitting fault and cooperating with the authorities are some of the things that are considered immediately after an accident. Seeking the guidance of a qualified car accident attorney is a critical step that can be taken after looking for reviews and references to choose the best one.
Duties of Car Accident Lawyers
Once you make a decision regarding the lawyer you want to hire, there are various expectations that you are likely to have such as regular communication. A reputable auto accident lawyer knows their responsibilities and duties according to the circumstances of a particular case. The basic aspects of dealing with a car accident case include the following:
- Interviewing the client.
- Explaining the process of claims to the client.
- Collecting damage and liability evidence that will be used to support the client’s claim.
- Reviewing the client’s car insurance policy to find out the coverage that is available for paying the client’s lost wages, medical bills and other losses.
- Putting health insurance on notice regarding the claim.
- Beginning the initial investigations that may include photographing the scene of the accident, photographing vehicles, talking to witnesses and collecting physical evidence.
- Evaluating the legal issues of the case to determine whether there are other responsible parties or if there are any facts that may compromise the recovery of a client. Visit Warnock, MacKinlay & Carman, PLLC
- Gathering and reviewing the client’s past and current medical records. Filing required claim forms with the insurer.
- Working with health insurance companies to make sure that they pay for the costs of treatment.
- Contacting the other party’s insurer to put them on notice.
- Negotiating with the insurer to settle the claim.
Filing a Lawsuit
- If a lawsuit is filed, negotiations are discussed with the client.
- Preparing and drafting the complaint and summons if a lawsuit is being filed.
- Finding the defenders in order for them to be served with the complaint and summons
- Attending the depositions of different parties and witnesses.
- Hiring experts such as medical specialists for the purpose of proving the client’s claim.
- Attending case status or management conferences.
- Filing all the required documents.
- Preparing for and attending arbitration.
- Taking cases to trial.
- Drafting or responding to post-trial motions accordingly.
- Negotiating outstanding medical bills and negotiating with insurance companies.
- Making necessary arrangements for collecting judgment when required.
Cases are different and a lawyer’s role may be expanded or reduced but it is essential for clients to be familiar with how a case typically progresses. Since car cases can be very complicated, it is advisable to seek the professional services of experienced lawyers and firms that have the ability to deal with a range of situations. Lawyers are dedicated to ensuring their client’s rights are duly protected and they receive fair compensation for injuries and any other damages.