We often slack on sleep because of our hectic routine. Whether it is finishing a critical presentation or prepping for the college final examinations, it is often our sleep that it is put to test. This is completely understandable that given our busy routines, lack of sleep may be completely inevitable at times. But prolonged sleeplessness can spell adverse effects for the skin. It can trigger premature aging and also lead to a slower metabolism, depression and decreased immune function.
Where it is important to get enough sleep, at the same time it is vital to get a most out of the night’s sleep. There is too much emphasis on the night’s sleep because it exercises a significant influence on how we look. While we sleep, the body heals and the skin repairs. So if you want to look vibrant and stay young, it is not only important to get a good night’s sleep, but also to gain a most out of it. Here are a few tips that ensure you wake up fresh and rejuvenated:
- Stay hydrated: Don’t leave your skin vulnerable to dehydration when you hit the bed. It is good to avoid sugary, caffeinated drinks, fruit juices and energy drinks, alcohol around bedtime. When you booze around bedtime, your body becomes dehydrated leading to retention of fluids around the eyes thus resulting in puffy eyes. If you are in a party mode and cannot avoid alcohol, try counteracting the effects of drinking coconut water or lime soda before hitting the bed.
- Remove makeup: Often you are too tired or high to remove the makeup and you eventually make up your mind to sleep with everything on. This is a strict no as this leads to clogged pores or irritated eyes leading to breakouts or skin infections. You can keep some face-wipes handy and use them on days when you are too tipsy or tired to take the effort of cleaning your face. We don’t recommend this daily, but you can cheat on certain occasions.
- Apply a serum: As we mentioned that your skin repairs and heals while you sleep; using the right product can simply speed up and support the process. Good quality serums and night creams are available that moisturize your skin and increase the collage production. The night repair mask is another good option that can be used once a week. At cultbeauty.co.uk, you can check for some good night treatment products that can be incorporated in your regime. The discount vouchers ensure that you don’t have to burn a hole in your pocket when you are buying one. If you start to see fine lines and wrinkles, you may consider getting botox injections. Botox fillers help revitalize the skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines. Since botox is a very popular an widely available procedure, do your research and try to work with the best and most experienced medical professionals you can have access to.
- Ditch the bad habits: Certain bad sleeping habits if avoided can prevent wrinkle formation. Most of us sleep against the pillow which can cause fine lines to appear on the face as a result of the skin being constantly pushed against the pillow. To avoid this regular creasing of the skin, it is often advised to sleep on your back. If you tend to get puffy eyes in the morning, keep an extra pillow under your head to prevent the natural fluids to collect around your eyes. Also make sure that you are changing your pillowcases often, say once a week, so that you are not sleeping on a pile of bacteria. Switching to satin or silk pillowcases is even better to steer clear from wrinkles and fine lines.
- Stay away from electronics: We refuse to part from our mobile phones during the night and even after lights-off we strain our eyes by constantly looking at the screen. Your likes or follow requests can wait till the next morning and are quite trivial as compared to a good night’s sleep. Instead, take a warm shower, use essential oils for a soothing effect and relax yourself completely for a good sleep.
Don’t forget to follow the basic beauty routine: cleansing, toning, and moisturizing, in that order, every night. This makes it easier for other products to be absorbed by the skin and thus they are more effective and gentle.
Even if you have been working really hard all your day, following these sleep-friendly tips from Counting Sheep Research will certainly be beneficial for your skin.